Saturday, May 22, 2010

Devil Child

I was a real devil child when I was younger-from the time I was a baby through maybe age 5 or so I'm guessing. My mom and dad always tell me these awful stories about myself and the things I would say and do, and I feel bad for them as parents! I was mean to a handicapped child that was in my primary class, and I made a couple of my primary teachers cry: I said to one of them, "I've already heard this story, YOU OLD BAG!!" I was very young, but definitely old enough to know better.
Gretel is following in my (climbing) footsteps, so I hope she doesn't take after me in all the other ways as well, or I am in for it!!

This was me when I was about 1 year old, but my mom says I started climbing in and out of my crib before I'd turned 1. Crazy!! She'd say, "Climb in your bed" and I'd do it. I guess I didn't realize until talking to her just a second ago that I'd climb in...I thought I only knew how to climb out.




Two nights ago, Gretel was crying really hard at 4:30 am, and when I went to check on her she was sitting/straddling her crib railing-sitting right on top of it with one leg on each side. I got her some milk and Motrin because I think she's teething, changed her diaper, and rocked her for about 20 minutes, then thought I'd put her back in her bed. I knew she wouldn't be happy about it, but I didn't know what else to do. There are pillows beneath her crib, but I was still in bed listening for a thud. I didn't hear anything except for her bedroom door being shut and her sudden screaming. I ran to go get her, and sort of bumped her with the door because she was on the floor right by it, just as I feared.
We brought her back to bed with us, but that was a disaster. I think it was about 6 am when I decided to set up the portable crib in her room, even though she's really close to pulling herself out of that, too.
Anyway, until I can get a crib tent for her that is where she's sleeping! I just really don't want to move her to a toddler bed & lock her in her room yet-it just doesn't feel very safe to me right now. So I guess I'll make her some s'mores, because pretty soon, she'll be campin' out!!!


(an old picture of me again-I need to take some pictures of the little hellion in her angry bedtime mode soon)

5 comments:

Johnny said...

She is a crazy monkey! I knew your childhood antics would come back to haunt you - Karma!! I miss you and the little gremlin.

Kristy said...

I remember when my kids got to that age when they wouldn't stay in their crib. It was horrible. Erika's pediatrician gave her some good ideas about how to handle this stage. Give her a call.

BBC said...

that was hilarious! all i could think when i saw you with gretel today at church was this post of yours. :) too cute!

Anonymous said...

She's crazyyyyyy, but I love it cuz I can watch it and hear about it, but not have to deal with it.

Carrie said...

I do not envy you. Cody is my only baby who could climb out of his crib and it made for a really ugly couple of years for naptimes and bedtimes. None of my other kids climbed out...Thank goodness. I guess what goes around comes around!