Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Girls Camp

In July I went to girl's camp for a week. While I was there, Johnny took Gretel to his parent's house in Newport and watched her there. He left 5 whole days before I even left for camp, so that was super weird to be all alone. So I went 10 long days without seeing Gretel. It was rough! He took my pup with him too, so I didn't even have Gwennie to sleep on my bed at night! Anyway, I'll try and post some pics of their daddy/daughter trip, but first here are a bunch of pictures of my week at camp!


I really couldn't believe how picture-perfect the camp ground was...it looked like it was out of a movie-so many gorgeous trees! Sacramento is the "City of Trees" so I guess that makes sense!
Anyway, I went with my 2 BFFs Abby and Shauna and the three of us were leaders of the YCLs (Youth Camp Leaders). These girls are about 16 and 17 yrs old and learning how to plan camp stuff for the younger girls.
I can't believe how much I loved those girls at the end of the week! They were so hilarious, and I found myself wanting to hang out with them after camp was over!



Our huge tent



We were supposed to bring a hat that showed what we wanted to experience at camp. I decided to be obnoxious and type out the sentence "I'd SURE like to experience B.O. at camp! My stink won't be my little SECRET!" I found those deodorant brand's logos online and printed them out.



I was in charge of one of the nights, so we had a blind-folded ice cream eating contest!



Then they played blind-folded musical chairs while the audience sang camp songs to provide their music.

Soko and Lata-some of my two fave girls!! Lata was the MC for the night, because she does a perfect British accent!

Our last game was a Sumo wrestling one that we played to help the girls learn the camp rules or traditions. We played the song Kung Fu Fighting in the background, because I love that song, and it was perfect!!

Our huge kitchen with one of the cooks on the right. The food was the absolute BEST part of camp! I wrote what we ate every day in my journal (I wrote about other things in my journal too; it wasn't all about food). It was seriously the best food at every meal-I was so impressed with the awesome cooks. They worked so hard for us and they provided a huge variety of food and everything was FABULOUS!!

My friend Abby was in charge of a huge event one night. It was the iron rod experience-the girls were blind-folded and they had no idea what was going on. They had to hold on to the rod as they were being tempted along the way, and at the end, this was the "Tree of Life." It looked so gorgeous in person, and there jewels on it that each girl got to take off the tree to keep.

The girls had a water balloon fight one day.





Rosanna (on the right) was our awesome camp director! I just love her.

I had never been in a canoe before, and it was SO much fun!!

Our theme was the movie "UP" and all the decorations and other things to do with it were really darling. I thought it was a great theme.



Some of the cute Nong Shala girls!
I loved the Nong Shala ward and the Tala Ofa ward. They both did awesome dances on bishop's night, and I love the diversity that their cultures bring! Those Tongan girls really know how to party it up!!





They did a balloon release at the end...



Before I went to camp I said that I knew how Lindsay Lohan felt, because she was about to go to jail. I was feeling anxiety about being sort of stuck somewhere for a whole week, not being able to go home if I wanted. I was seriously worried about what I'd eat, not thinking that I'd have enough snacks (I feel ill if I don't eat little meals throughout the day) and I was totally wrong about the food thing for sure.
It was a long week, and I missed my bed/comforts of home, and feeling clean. But I had so much fun getting to know these girls, and I heard so many funny stories. Oh-ya! We also had a bear come into our little camp ground the last night. I guess this happens a lot on the last night, because we eat tri-tip the last night. The two girls could hear it breathing but didn't blow their whistles (which is the rule) because they didn't actually see it. Because they were scared and hiding in their tent, and didn't SEE it! They had us laughing so hard at this. Glad we were all safe!!
Anyway, it was an eventful and exhausting week, and the girls were awesome. It's nice to be home now!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

That looked like an awesome camp trip...something I'm sure the girls will always remember! LOVE the Lindsey Lohan comment....only you would come up with something like that!