Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Our Newport Beach Trip!



Last month (I'm a little slow) we got to go on a little vacay with Johnny's whole family. Every May for the past few years we have gone to Newport Beach. We don't get to go on many trips, so we always really look forward to this! It was nice to see everyone, because it had been a whole year since John's entire fam was together.

Unfortunately, Johnny had to miss the first half of the week due to summer school, but he joined the group for the last 3 days. Here are some highlights of the week:

-We had TWO EARTHQUAKES!!! (Sunday 4.7, Monday 4.1) It's been my biggest fear, ever since I was a child. Somehow, we all survived....freaky!
-Ate lunch at my favorite place right on the beach at "Beachcomber" and I got my salad I've been talking since the last time we ate there 2 years ago. Yummy!!! Also, I dipped Gretel's toes in the ocean and sand while we were there!
-We took Gretel swimming for the first time!!! She looked so cute in her little swimsuit; I love a wet, slippery baby in the pool! She didn't really seem to care either way about swimming. But it was really fun for us!
-I got to snuggle in bed with Gretel during her naptime, and it was delish!
-We went to see the Disney's "Earth" movie which I thought was horribly sad. I left the theatre hating the "circle of life." How sad for little kids to see this, even though it's reality. I feel guilty about the In-N-Out burger I thoroughly enjoyed today.
-Went shopping at Fashion Island and visited the pet store there. Caitland and I were very tempted to buy new puppies; I had my eye on a very sweet-looking, tiny white Chihuahua.
-We celebrated Devon's birthday and ate Cheesecake while watching the American Idol finale!
-"Grandma Cherry" treated her grandgirlies to a bunch of new books after visiting a children's bookstore...Thanks!
-We walked through the house Johnny's parents are building there; it's in the framing stage right now and we're way excited we get to stay there next year!


Every time we'd ride in the car Gretel's cousin Ellie would reach over and hold her hand. They were great friends all week long, and played really cute together. Ellie would place little toys on the floor and watch as Gretel would crawl to get them. Then she'd move the toy to a new spot, so they could repeat the game!

The next few pictures were taken at Balboa Island:




A picture with all the girls: Ellie, (kind of) Caitland, Me, Gretel, Erin (and baby girl due in September) and Cheryl aka "Grandma Cherry"

Gretel's first little lick of ice cream!

She looked so funny to me in her swim diaper...



A funny story about this picture:

I thought of you, Hab when I saw this picture because you LOVE fixing bad haircuts! We were at Newport Beach and I was a few yards away from the rest of the group at the time I was taking this pic. While looking through the camera lense, I felt someone come right up to my ear and I heard a creepy raspy voice say, "I've got my eye on YOU!" I thought it was just Johnny playing a joke until I turned and saw a stranger (maybe in his 30's) I was horrified, and gave him a disgusted look and walked away. Later when I told everyone about it, my mother-in-law asked, "Did he have an eye patch?" A totally different guy had started talking to her. It was like Land-of-the-Letches that day. All the pervs were out!

My little naked cherub!




Thanks, John and Cheryl for taking us on such a fun trip-we had a great time!!

11 comments:

cheryl_jtfamily@msn.com said...

I love your pictures from the trip, I need copies from both you and Erickson's. What a fun trip
this was and I can't wait for next
year's trip when we can stay in the
new house! Little Gretel should be
a model, what a cutie.

Katherine said...

So fun! There's nothing quite like that SoCal sun! Gretel looks so adorable, as usual!

KatieKaseyBrielle said...

Cute pictures! What a fun trip! We have done Balboa Island and Newport a couple of times since we have been married! We love that place! You guys are so cute and I especially love Gretels little nakedie bum next to the statue!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, One- I want INO and never feel guilty for eating it. Two- Earthquakes! Thats crazy, i need to hear you tell more about this. Three- I must hear more about the perv story, thats creepy but funny and seems to only happen to you (its cuz your so darn pretty).

Chelsea said...

I have many perv stories, Shauna! Remind me to tell you about the time I was sexually harrassed at the grocery store-I couldn't shop alone for quite some time!

Hailey said...

That was so much fun to see all the pics. I have lots of comments...
1. I didn't know about the other earthquake---awful!
2. Gretel looks like she has ricketts in her swim diaper. She is so teeny tiny! I want to squeeze her, but she might break!
3. Did Caitland chop off her locks??
4. Do you pronounce Grandma Cherry like the fruit or like the Ch in Cheryl?
5. I like the bad haircuts photo, and WHAT A CREEP!! You are a magnet for them!
6. I'm mega jeal of all Gretel's girl clothes...you'd better let me borrow them for my next child--even if it's a boy:)
7. It's been too long away from your post and I can't remember anything else to comment about
See ya laterhosen!

Hailey said...

Oh ya, I like your Tory Burch shirt, you little fashionista, and I LOVE how Ellie would hold Gretel's hand. That is too darling for words!

Chelsea said...

Hab-
I really liked all your questions!
Here are the answers:

1. I thought Gretel looked hysterical because she's so skinny. I should call her my little "rickette" instead of "rockette"
2. Yes, Caitland chopped her hair and is super skinny!!
3.Cherry like the fruit..
4. You can borrow anything!

Chris and Jennifer said...

I love your pictures! Your family is so cute, and Gretel looks so beautiful! I am glad that you had fun in your vacations with the family. I am sorry about the earthquakes, they are no fun. We have those in Chile. Here in Enid we are having crazy weather, too... We had some severe thunder-storms...

Kristy said...

What a great family vacation. We loved the pictures--especially the little nakie bum! Gretel is so darling--she looks like she has such a great personality already.

B said...

excellent documenting, I almost felt like (and still wish I was) at the beach